History of Borobudur Temple: Indonesia’s Great Architectural Wonder
Borobudur Temple is one of Indonesia’s greatest architectural wonders and cultural heritage. Located in Magelang, Central Java, this temple has become one of the most iconic tourist destinations in Indonesia and one of the most important sites in Buddhism in the world. This is the extraordinary history of Borobudur Temple.
9th Century: The Period of Borobudur Temple
Borobudur Temple was built in the 9th century, during the reign of the Sailendra dynasty in Central Java. Its construction began around 800 AD and lasted for almost a century. However, the exact cause of the construction of this temple is still a mystery.
Magnificent Architecture and Design
Borobudur Temple is an example of the excellence of ancient Javanese architecture. This temple consists of nine levels, including three main terrace levels and six top levels in the form of a stupa. The entire temple has an amazing pyramid shape, with a base length of around 123 meters. The structure of this temple is designed with extraordinary geometric precision.
Each level of the main terrace is decorated with reliefs that tell various stories from Buddhist teachings, which totals around 2,672 relief panels and 504 Buddha statues. These reliefs are important evidence of the art, culture and daily life of ancient Javanese society.
Religion and Revival
Borobudur Temple was originally built as a holy place for Mahayana Buddhism. It was an important place of meditation and religious celebration for the Buddhist community at that time. This temple was well used for several centuries, but then, in the 14th century, Islam began to dominate the island of Java.
Borobudur Temple was then abandoned and covered by volcanic ash from the eruption of Mount Merapi. Over the centuries, this temple sank into the ground and was almost forgotten.
Restoration Activities and World Recognition
In the 19th century, Borobudur Temple was rediscovered by Dutch archaeologist Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles. Excavations and restoration began in the 20th century, and after decades of intensive work, the temple was finally restored to its former glory.
In 1991, Borobudur Temple was recognized as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. This recognition makes this temple increasingly famous throughout the world and has become one of the best tourist destinations in Indonesia.
The Significance of Borobudur Temple
Apart from being an important historical and religious site for Buddhists, Borobudur Temple is also a symbol of the revival of Indonesian culture and heritage. It is a shining example of Indonesian art and architecture that has survived through the centuries.
Borobudur Temple also shows unique religious tolerance in Indonesia. Even though it was originally built as a place of Buddhist worship, this temple is managed and well maintained by the Indonesian government, where the majority of the population is Muslim. This reflects the spirit of mutual cooperation and diversity that is characteristic of Indonesia.
The history of Borobudur Temple is a story of architectural, religious and cultural glory. This temple is one of the most important sites in Indonesia and is one of the most impressive places to learn about the history and rich culture of this country. Borobudur Temple is proof of the greatness of human civilization and will continue to be a valuable asset for Indonesia for generations to come.
Borobudur Temple is one of the most impressive world heritage sites in Indonesia. If you are planning a visit to this place, there is some important information you need to know. In this article, we will discuss the facilities available at Borobudur Temple, entrance ticket prices, visitor arrangements, provide tips for visiting this temple, and outline what you can enjoy during your visit.
Facilities at Borobudur Temple
Borobudur Temple has been equipped with various facilities to meet visitor needs. Some of the main facilities include:
- Borobudur Museum: This museum contains various artifacts and information about the history of Borobudur Temple. This is the perfect place to gain a deeper understanding of the temple before you start exploring it.
- Toilets and Cafeteria: There are clean toilet facilities and a cafeteria in the temple area. This allows you to take a break and get a cup of coffee after exploring the temples.
- Souvenir Shop: There is a gift shop selling various handicraft items and keepsakes. This is a great place to buy souvenirs or gifts to take home.
- Parking: Parking areas are available for visitors who come by private vehicle.
- Tour Guide: If you want a more in-depth guide to the history and culture of Borobudur Temple, you can hire a knowledgeable tour guide.
Price of admission
Entrance ticket prices to Borobudur Temple may change from time to time. However, here are estimated ticket prices for a 2023 visit:
– Adults (WNI): IDR 30,000
– Adult (foreigner): IDR 350,000
– Children (WNI): IDR 12,500
– Children (foreigners): IDR 175,000
Ticket prices for groups, sunrise tickets, and evening entry tickets may differ. Be sure to check the latest ticket prices before your visit.
Borobudur Temple applies several rules to maintain the security and preservation of this site. Some rules to remember:
– Do not damage or touch the temple reliefs, because this can damage valuable artifacts.
– Adhere to a modest dress code. Avoid wearing clothes that are too revealing.
– If you bring a bag or backpack, make sure to put it in the space provided before entering the temple area.
– During religious ceremonies held at Borobudur Temple, some parts of the temple may not be accessible to visitors.
Tips for Visiting Borobudur Temple
- Come early: If you want to enjoy the sunrise from the top of Borobudur Temple, make sure to come very early. The sunrise view here is one of the most iconic moments.
- Wear Comfortable Shoes: Since you will be walking quite a lot, make sure to wear comfortable shoes.
- Bring Drinking Water: The weather at Borobudur Temple can be quite hot. Make sure to bring drinking water to stay hydrated.
- Use Sun Cream: If you are visiting in sunny weather, sun cream is an essential item.
What to Enjoy at Borobudur Temple
Your visit to Borobudur Temple will provide a lot exciting experiences, including:
- Architectural Beauty: Borobudur Temple offers views of magnificent ancient architecture. You can admire the temple’s pyramid structure, beautiful reliefs, and stupas surrounding the top level.
- View of Mount Merapi: From the top of Borobudur Temple, you can enjoy the spectacular view of Mount Merapi. Especially at sunrise or sunset, this view is very stunning.
- Religious Ceremonies: Sometimes, this temple is used for Buddhist religious ceremonies. You can feel the sacred atmosphere of the ceremony if you visit at the right time.
- Visit the Museum: There is the Borobudur Museum which contains various artifacts and information about the history of the temple. This museum is the perfect place to gain a deeper understanding of Borobudur Temple.
- Watching the Sunrise: One of the most iconic experiences at Borobudur Temple is watching the sun rise from the top of the temple. This is the moment most sought after by visitors.
- Learn Culture and History: You can learn a lot about ancient Javanese culture and Buddhist teachings when visiting this temple. Knowledgeable tour guides will help you understand every detail.
Borobudur Temple is one of the most impressive world heritage sites in Indonesia. With a rich history, majestic architecture and unmatched tourist charm, this temple is a must-visit for anyone interested in culture, history or natural beauty. Borobudur Temple is proof of the glory of human civilization and will continue to be a valuable asset for Indonesia for generations to come. So, when planning your trip to Indonesia, make sure to include Borobudur Temple on your list of destinations. This is a place that will give you an unforgettable experience.